Thursday, August 15, 2013

Is that a Taste of Fall in the Air?

When I walked out onto the deck last night to pull in my shoes I was startled by the clear sky and twinkling stars above.  Maybe the song I use to put my son to bed had some good luck in it.  Then, this morning, I heard my wife gasp as she prepared for work.  "Sunshine."  We enjoyed our first sunrise since our return home at the beginning of the month.  I knew it was bound to be a killer day.  Low to mid 80s out there right now, and select spots feel a bit warmer.  Not too much of sea breeze in town.  Windy up the coast for sure, though.  So, not quite like autumn.  autumn is nicer.  But close enough.  Not sure it will last though.  Let's take a look.

Even the cloudy mornings in Maine were warm and sunny.  Ogunquit river mouth.  


Low pressure is currently trying to get a foot hold in the Gulf of Alaska.  This is number two since the north Pacific awake from its summer slumber last week.  Not much of a swell maker this one, but current models get some wind traction on the water over the next two days, so some small swell might result for the coming weekend.  More importantly, this thing could help keep the pressure gradient at bay, and give us a bit of sunshine this late week, as the marine layer has pretty much pulled out to the coast.  Except in Santa Cruz county, where it has pulled out to sea,  Good for us.  Again, not sure if it will last.  NOAA is calling for foggy mornings the next seven days.  I think we might get one more sunny morning, but I too am not counting on it.   Still, my money is on an early burner off, so I'll callit another winner.  Sunny, with a high of 82F downtown, and 75F at the Boardwalk.  Foggy mornings return with the weekend, and daily highs drop back down into the mid 70s.  Might even drop into the upper 60s the early part of next week.  Depends on how thick the fog grows.

The mid and long term models keep low pressure systems moving into the Gulf.  Nothing impressive on the charts, except for the fact that it looks like the dominant high is not rebounding quickly, which can suggest a shift in the seasons.  Seems a bit early for this, though.  Usually this is what I look for come mid September.  But, it does peak my interest, and I would not mind moving away from the grey, windy weather we have been having.  Fall, and fall surf, can never come to early in my opinion.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment